Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed February 5, 2014
Clay Aiken Announces His Run For Congress
Teacher and former American Idol contestant Clay Aiken announced he'll run as a Democrat for the state's second Congressional district.
In a campaign video, he described his humble beginnings, growing up poor in North Carolina. He said he's got leadership experience.
“The years I spent as a special education teacher for students with autism was my first window into the difference that a person can make in someone's life. Then it was the years I spent with UNICEF traveling to places apart, like the war zones of Afghanistan and Somalia, where families had been torn apart, and hope was sometimes hard to find,” Aiken said.
He described himself as a centrist when he touted his appointment to President George W Bush's commission to address issues facing children with special needs.
He also criticized incumbent Congresswoman Renee Ellmers for supporting the government shutdown and military budget cuts.
Arts & Culture
The State of Things