Most Active Stories
- It's Final: UNC Board of Governors Votes To Close Academic Centers
- Stranded At School: Chapel Hill-Carrboro Lets Out Before Buses Can Hit The Road
- The Life, Legacy, And Science of "Queen of Agrobacterium" Mary-Dell Chilton
- Snowstorm Knocks Out Power For Thousands - Black Ice Threat Through Friday Morning
- Brian Blade Brings 'Praise From The Heart' to Chapel Hill
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu June 12, 2014
A Bridge To The Future
Author Monica Byrne was reading a poem that included the words "ocean" and "bridge," when something just clicked. She couldn't get the idea out of her head: a pedestrian bridge so long it spanned the Arabian Sea. The vision formed the basis of her debut novel, "The Girl in the Road" (Crown Publishing/2014), which is set decades in the future.
The novel combines months of research and travel with numerous autobiographical details. It considers the different ways people recover from trauma.
Learn more about Monica and her work here.
Host Frank Stasio talks with author Monica Byrne.