Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State Of Things
Fri October 25, 2013
Bike Fatalities Raise Concerns About Road Safety
Two local residents, Ivin Scurlock, 41, and Alexandra Simou, 40, lost their lives in a hit-and-run incident near Southern Village last month. North Carolina has one of the worst rates for bicycle and pedestrian fatalities in the country.
Host Frank Stasio speaks with Aimee Argote, a local musician who found Scurlock and Simou; Laura Sandt, senior research associate with University of North Carolina’s Highway Safety Research Center; Lauren Blackburn, director of North Carolina’s Department of Transportation's Bike and Pedestrian Transportation Division; Debbie West of the East Coast Greenway Alliance and an interim board member of Bike Durham.