Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Fri December 21, 2012
Ancient and Living Maya
Today is supposedly the end of the world, depending on who you believe. Some say the ancient Maya people predicted December 21, 2012 would be the apocalypse. Others say it is just a new era. Still others say the whole thing is overblown.
Host Frank Stasio talks about the end of the world and the history of the real Maya people with Emilio del Valle Escalante, associate professor of Spanish at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and Claudia Funke, curator of rare books at the Wilson Special Collections Library at UNC-Chapel Hill.