Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon August 8, 2011
American Tobacco Trail Extension Delayed
Efforts to extend a popular bike and pedestrian trail in Durham have hit a snag. City officials want to extend the American Tobacco Trail about 4 miles to the Chatham County line. That includes building a bridge across I-40. Bids for the project came in higher than expected. Ed Venable is a manager of engineering and stormwater for the City of Durham.
Ed Venable: The city's committed to proceeding with the project. It's probably the most popular project that I've worked with. So there's a definite will on the part of the city, and a definite desire on the part of the citizens to see the construction completed.
Venable says they'll still likely award the contract within 60 days and have the work done just on the bridge. He says a second phase of funding would include construction of the trail.
Business & Economy