Memorial Day can be especially difficult for relatives of service members who died by suicide. They often feel stigmatized, even around other military families.
Amy Pittman learned on her first day in jail to bottle up her grief. As soon as she arrived, guards took her shoelaces so she wouldn't try to hang herself. Cry too much or scream too loud and she feared they would come back to take everything she had left — her clothes, a sheet, a plastic spork.
African-American women have fought against discrimination in the ballet world for decades. Debra Austin was the first black ballerina to become a principal dancer in a major American dance company. She broke through the racial barrier, but her career was not without challenges.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Merkel: Europe 'can no longer rely on allies' after Trump and Brexit
- Portland attack: $600,000 raised for 'heroes' killed defending Muslim teen
- Paris mayor may ban black feminist Nyansapo festival
- Cannes Film Festival: The Square wins Palme d'Or
- South Africa: Jacob Zuma 'plans second home in Dubai'
- US Mississippi shooting leaves eight dead