Violent crime – especially rape – increased in North Carolina in 2015, continuing an upward trend that began in 2013, according to federal statistics released this week.
The U.S. trails Switzerland and Singapore in economic competitiveness in a new global index that finds America's infrastructure, health system and primary education are all lagging. The World Economic Forum's index also notes three U.S. strengths: Its large market, financial sophistication and labor efficiency.Out of 138 economies worldwide, the U.S. "does not rank in the top 10 on any of the basic requirements pillars (institutions, infrastructure, macroeconomic environment, health and...
In the past week, residents in Charlotte have protested throughout the city in response to the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by law enforcement. The week's events created a lingering sense of civil unrest in communities. While Charlotte carries a reputation as an economic powerhouse in the South, income inequality and racial disparity exist underneath the surface. A recent study from the N.C. Poverty Research Fund reported that roughly three times as many African-American and Hispanic...
Like & Follow WUNC
- Congress rejects Obama veto of Saudi 9/11 lawsuits bill
- Syria: US tells Russia it will end talks if bombing continues
- Oil rallies after Opec ministers announce output cut
- Sudan government accused of using chemical weapons in Darfur
- Typhoon Megi: Search for missing after China landslide
- Trump's fortune drops $800m in one year
We bring the issues, personalities, and places of North Carolina to you.