Crews uncover the buried structure

Archaeologists at UNC-Chapel Hill say they've uncovered a structure on campus that is an underground cellar from the early 1800s. Construction crews ran into the buried structure last month while building a new drainage pipe underneath McCorkle Place.

Archaeologists preparing to dive.
N.C. Dept. of Cultural Resources

At the bottom of Beaufort Inlet sits an eight-foot cannon that once fired from the decks of the Queen Anne’s Revenge. It’s been there since the ship sank in 1718, and the famous pirate Blackbeard was captured. A crew of archaeologists heads out to bring the cannon to the surface today. Mark Wilde-Ramsing is the director of the Queen Anne’s Revenge Shipwreck project and an underwater archaeologist with the state. He joined WUNC's Eric Hodge to talk about the project.