Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
- The “Lost” Recordings of an Overlooked Banjo Great
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 9, 2014
WUNC's Guide To Graduation Weekend In The Triangle
Several universities are holding their commencement exercises this weekend. Here's a look at what's in store.
UNC Chapel Hill: Dr. Atul Gawande.
Dr. Gawande has become a household name for fans of science and medical journalism. He's a leader in the field of how to make health care more efficient and more effective on an institutional level. He also gave a TED talk, which makes him pretty hip.
Duke University: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey
General Dempsey is the highest ranking military officer in the country. As Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he advises the President, Secretary of Defense, and the National Security Council. So he's a big deal.
North Carolina State University: David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States.
Probably the greatest job in the country, the "Collector in Chief." While this seems like an antiquated position, Ferriero is heading the National Archives at a time when digitizing the country's treasures is making them more accessible than ever.
North Carolina Central University: Lezli Baskerville, president and CEO of the National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education (NAFEO).
Baskerville heads the organization that lobbies on behalf of the country's HBCU's. It's a huge job, at a time when the focus of HBCU's is shifting, and race is at the forefront of the college admissions process.
Saturday, May 10th
- NC Central University - 8:00am, O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium TICKETS REQUIRED (details)
- NC State University - 9:00am, PNC Arena OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (details)
Sunday, May 11th