Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri December 14, 2012
WSSU Plays For Division II Football Championship
Winston-Salem State University is playing in the Division II football national championship tomorrow against Georgia's Valdosta State.
Winston-Salem State had been transitioning to Division I athletics, but the school did an about face two years ago because the move was too costly. Some supporters were upset that the Rams wouldn't become a Division I member. Head Coach Connell Mayor says his undefeated football team has provided a solution.
Connell Mayor: "I know winning solves a lot of problems - and people like winners. And if you win it'll make the people that wanted us to stay one-double-A, kinda forget about that and say 'you know what this is alright, this is pretty cool'. As long as you win I think that solves all the problems."
The Rams are not only trying to capture their first football national title they hope to become the first Historically Black College or University to win a Division II national crown. Kick-off is at 1pm at a neutral site in Alabama.