Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri December 14, 2012
WSSU Plays For Division II Football Championship
Winston-Salem State University is playing in the Division II football national championship tomorrow against Georgia's Valdosta State.
Winston-Salem State had been transitioning to Division I athletics, but the school did an about face two years ago because the move was too costly. Some supporters were upset that the Rams wouldn't become a Division I member. Head Coach Connell Mayor says his undefeated football team has provided a solution.
Connell Mayor: "I know winning solves a lot of problems - and people like winners. And if you win it'll make the people that wanted us to stay one-double-A, kinda forget about that and say 'you know what this is alright, this is pretty cool'. As long as you win I think that solves all the problems."
The Rams are not only trying to capture their first football national title they hope to become the first Historically Black College or University to win a Division II national crown. Kick-off is at 1pm at a neutral site in Alabama.