Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State Of Things
Thu May 1, 2014
The Word Exchange By Alena Graedon
In the near future, print is dead. Newspapers and books have been destroyed in favor of handheld gadgets that anticipate a user’s needs.
This world is the backdrop for author Alena Graedon’s debut novel, The Word Exchange (DoubleDay/2014). The story explores the complexities of language and the intersection of technology and communication.
Host Frank Stasio talks with Graedon about the book and the power of language in the digital era.
And here are the five things on Alena's reading list right now:
- Rajesh Parameswaran's I Am An Executioner
- Claire Vaye Watkins's Battleborn
- Ben Marcus's Leaving the Sea
- Karen Russell's Vampires in the Lemon Grove
- Alice Munro's collection Runaway (rereading!)