Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- 'Completely Unique': Cave-Dwelling Female Insects Have Penises
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri July 29, 2011
Withers Makes History
Everett Withers is the new interim head football coach at North Carolina. Withers, Chancellor Holden Thorp and athletic director Dick Baddour addressed the media earlier today.
Withers replaces Butch Davis, who was fired on Wednesday. Withers is the first African-American head football coach in school history - and just the second black head coach in any sport.
Withers talked about his place in history in an interview on tarheelblue.com.
Everett Withers: "There's been a lot of coaches that have been before me that probably deserved to be head coaches. I don't want to let those guys down. I've been fortunate enough to be handed this situation and I want to do the best I can for the people before me and after me."
Withers was previously the defensive coordinator at UNC-Chapel Hill. He grew up in Charlotte.