Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri July 29, 2011
Withers Makes History
Everett Withers is the new interim head football coach at North Carolina. Withers, Chancellor Holden Thorp and athletic director Dick Baddour addressed the media earlier today.
Withers replaces Butch Davis, who was fired on Wednesday. Withers is the first African-American head football coach in school history - and just the second black head coach in any sport.
Withers talked about his place in history in an interview on tarheelblue.com.
Everett Withers: "There's been a lot of coaches that have been before me that probably deserved to be head coaches. I don't want to let those guys down. I've been fortunate enough to be handed this situation and I want to do the best I can for the people before me and after me."
Withers was previously the defensive coordinator at UNC-Chapel Hill. He grew up in Charlotte.