Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri July 29, 2011
Withers Makes History
Everett Withers is the new interim head football coach at North Carolina. Withers, Chancellor Holden Thorp and athletic director Dick Baddour addressed the media earlier today.
Withers replaces Butch Davis, who was fired on Wednesday. Withers is the first African-American head football coach in school history - and just the second black head coach in any sport.
Withers talked about his place in history in an interview on tarheelblue.com.
Everett Withers: "There's been a lot of coaches that have been before me that probably deserved to be head coaches. I don't want to let those guys down. I've been fortunate enough to be handed this situation and I want to do the best I can for the people before me and after me."
Withers was previously the defensive coordinator at UNC-Chapel Hill. He grew up in Charlotte.