Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Tue April 16, 2013
Why Did You Pick Up The Bassoon?
The music critic and composer Cecil Gray once said: "The bassoon in the orchestra plays the same role as Gorgonzola among cheeses -- a figure for fun. Actually, the bassoon can be the most romantic and passionate of instruments, and Gorgonzola can be the finest of cheeses, but they must both be treated properly." Why would anyone pick up the bassoon?
Seven musicians join host Frank Stasio to show off their bassoon playing skills. They are Rachael Elliott, Michael Burns, Cory Jones, Elise Seifert, Pratul Srinivasan, YunChu Huang, and Susan Cummings. The Bassoon Band will be performing April 21th at the Casbah in Durham.