Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- VIDEO: Discovered LIFE Magazine Photos Reveal Curious NC Tradition
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 2, 2013
Whitey Bulger Decides Not To Take The Stand
One of the most anticipated testimonies in a criminal trial will not happen: James "Whitey" Bulger, the notorious Boston gangster, decided not to testify in his own defense, today.
The Boston Globe reports Bulger made his decision clear during a tense back-and-forth with U.S. District Court Judge Denise J. Casper, who told him he could not say on the stand that he had cut an immunity deal with the late federal prosecutor Jeremiah O'Sullivan.
The Globe reports:
"'I'm making this involuntarily. My defense was choked off. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't get a fair trial,' he told Casper. 'This is a sham. Do what you want with me.'
"As Bulger spoke, the son of Michael Donahue, one of Bulger's alleged victims, shouted, 'You're a coward!' Relatives of other alleged Bulger murder victims groaned.
"Casper cut Bulger off and pressed him to be clear on whether he would testify or not. He told her he would not testify.
"'That's my final answer,' he said."
Our colleagues at WBUR live blogged the developments. They report that closing arguments are set to begin on Monday.