Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu August 18, 2011
What's So Great About Being Middle Class?
In the wake of the global economic crisis, it seems Americans agree on at least one thing: the middle class is under siege. But who is the middle class? And what is it that's plaguing them? Host Frank Stasio considers the state of the American dream with guests Sara Appel, a graduate student in literature at Duke University and a blogger for Working Class Perspectives; Michael Bowen, author of “The Roots of Modern Conservatism: Dewey Taft and the Battle for the Soul of the Republican Party” (UNC Press/2011); Scott Spiegel, chief financial officer for the America Institute of Certified Public Accountants; Michal Grinstein-Weiss, director of Assets Building Group and associate professor in the School of Social Work at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and Will Wilkinson, author and blogger at www.commondreams.org. Listener Call-in.