Most Active Stories
- It's Final: UNC Board of Governors Votes To Close Academic Centers
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- The Life, Legacy, And Science of "Queen of Agrobacterium" Mary-Dell Chilton
- How Some Teachers, Even On Snow Days, Are Still Teaching
- N.C. State Scholarship Fund To Honor Chapel Hill Shooting Victims
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon November 11, 2013
Watch Dramatic Atlantic Rescue By Coast Guard And Navy
Here's video of a dramatic Coast Guard and Navy rescue off the North Carolina Coast. Watch as the Coast Guard and the crew of the Navy destroyer USS Cole rescue three people Sunday. Those rescued were from a sailboat, Wings, located approximately 210 miles offshore of North Carolina coast in the Atlantic Ocean.
The rescue happened around 10 a.m. Sunday morning. The Wings crew had first reported trouble Friday night indicating a disabled rudder but plenty of provisions. On Sunday morning they contacted the Coast Guard as weather conditions worsened.
The three rescued from Wings were airlifted to the Coast Guard Air Station at Elizabeth City, NC. There were no reports of injuries.