Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed April 16, 2014
Washington State Mudslide Death Toll Rises To 39
Originally published on Wed April 16, 2014 1:08 pm
The death toll in last month's fatal mudslide in Washington state has risen to 39, officials say, after two more bodies were recovered from the debris.
Search efforts following the mudslide, near the community of Oso in the Cascades foothills, have been hampered by rain and the difficulty in recovering victims from the mudslide on the north fork of the Stillaguamish River on March 22.
Last week, the Snohomish County medical examiner's office put the death toll at 35, with 11 missing. However, when the number of dead rose to 37 on Tuesday, officials put the number still missing at 7.