Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Thu April 12, 2012
Voter Registration Deadline for May 8 Primary Nears
Tomorrow is the deadline for voter registration for the May eighth primary election here in North Carolina. It's also the last day for voters to change their party affiliation.
Jessica Jones: Voter registration forms must be postmarked or delivered in person by 5 pm by Friday. But those who miss the registration deadline can register in person and then vote at one-stop voting sites in their county of residence. The one-stop absentee voting period runs from April 19th to May 5th. In order to register during the one-stop period, the applicant must show proof of name and residence in the county. That can include everything from a driver's license to a current utility bill as long as it includes the person's current name and address. For those who've already registered, regular one-stop voting also begins on April 19th and runs through May fifth. The State Board of Elections and county boards of elections websites list the early voting sites.