Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed May 8, 2013
VIDEO: Coast Guard Rescues Man In Sailboat 70 Miles Off Kitty Hawk
A British man in a sailboat 70 miles off of Kitty Hawk was rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter this morning.
Trevor Wilson, 72, requested a medevac from his 24-foot sailboat named Erma at approximately 6 a.m. He told the Coast Guard that had fallen and hit his head and been unconscious for seven hours.
An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter was deployed from the Coast Guard Air Station in Elizabeth City to search for the location, which they were able to locate via Wilson's emergency beacon. The helicopter crew sent down a rescue swimmer, who loaded Wilson into a basket, and then lifted him into the aircraft. He was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Arts & Culture