Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu March 15, 2012
Veterans & Trauma
A recent report from the Department of Veteran Affairs revealed a stark truth: every 80 minutes, a veteran takes his or her own life. The risk of suicide is even greater for service members suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD.
Treatment of PTSD has greatly improved during the military conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and the stigma of a diagnosis is slowly starting to fade, but the disorder is affecting more and more veterans. Host Frank Stasio discusses trauma and veterans with Gregory Inman, a clinical psychologist and Team Leader at the Raleigh Vet Center.