Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- Charlotte, NC: Take A Virtual Ride On The World's Tallest, Fastest Giga Rollercoaster (Video)
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri January 21, 2011
U.S. Figure Skating Comes to Greensboro
The nation's most prestigious figure skating event will begin tomorrow in Greensboro. The 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships features the best figure skaters in the country. They're competing for a variety of prizes in different categories. It's the first time North Carolina has hosted the competition. Kim Strable heads the Greensboro Sports Commission, which helps bring big events like this to the city. He says if everything goes smoothly next week, it will open the doors for Greensboro to host more skating competitions.
"Clearly that's one of our hopes, that we can put the best face on not just Greensboro but this region, can showcase the sport in a really fantastic facility, and hit a home run with it, that's our goal."
The championships are expected to have an economic impact of about 25 million dollars for Greensboro.