Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Mon September 10, 2012
Underpass To Link UNC-Greensboro Expansion
UNC-Greensboro is breaking ground on a pedestrian underpass this morning.
The project will provide a pathway under Lee Street and a railway. It will connect the main UNC-G campus with a mixed-use village, currently under construction. When complete, Spartan Village will include 1,400 resident beds, retail space and a new student recreation center. Jorge Quintal is Associate Vice Chancellor of Facilities. He says this project will increase the campus by 20-percent.
Jorge Quintal continues,"UNCG has approximately 215 acres. And with a head count of 18,000 students has one of the highest, if not the highest, density in the university system."
The 40 acre expansion is taking place in area that was mostly vacant or condemned property. The 10.4 million dollar underpass connecting the mixed-use Spartan Village to the main campus is scheduled to be complete by next fall.