Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon October 14, 2013
UNC's Sylvia Hatchell Diagnosed With Leukemia
North Carolina women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell has been diagnosed with leukemia.
In a release from the school Monday, Hatchell said she would temporarily step away from her coaching duties to focus on treatment. She said she would remain involved with the team and expected to "return to my sideline responsibilities as soon as possible."
The 61-yar-old Hatchell was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last month. She's preparing for her 28th season with the Tar Heels and has 908 career victories, making her one of only three head coaches in the sport to win 900 games.
Hatchell led UNC to the 1994 NCAA championship.
Longtime assistant Andrew Calder will lead the program while Hatchell is away. He has been on Hatchell's staff throughout her tenure.