Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon November 14, 2011
UNC-CH Tuition Hike Clears First Hurdle
A task force at UNC-Chapel Hill has approved sizable tuition hikes.
The Tuition and Fee Advisory Task Force voted to raise in-state tuition 16-and-a-half percent and out-of-state tuition 6-and-a-half percent.
Student leaders offered proposals for much smaller increases. UNC-Chapel Hill officials say state budget cuts necessitate large tuition increases to maintain quality.
It's the first step in a months-long process toward possibly increasing tuition at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Later this week, the school's board of trustees will consider the task force's recommendation. If they go along with the increase, the tuition fight then goes on to the UNC system board of governors and then the state legislature.