Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- How A Confederate Ironclad Warship Landed On The Bottom Of The Neuse River
- What Is The Remotest Place In NC?
- South By Southeast: 18 Environmental Journalists Travel North Carolina
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon November 14, 2011
UNC-CH Tuition Hike Clears First Hurdle
A task force at UNC-Chapel Hill has approved sizable tuition hikes.
The Tuition and Fee Advisory Task Force voted to raise in-state tuition 16-and-a-half percent and out-of-state tuition 6-and-a-half percent.
Student leaders offered proposals for much smaller increases. UNC-Chapel Hill officials say state budget cuts necessitate large tuition increases to maintain quality.
It's the first step in a months-long process toward possibly increasing tuition at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Later this week, the school's board of trustees will consider the task force's recommendation. If they go along with the increase, the tuition fight then goes on to the UNC system board of governors and then the state legislature.