Most Active Stories
- Raleigh Viral Video: 'Xmas Jammies' Close To 11 Million Youtube Views
- Durham Police Use Tear Gas To Break Up Protest Of Teen's Death
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon November 14, 2011
UNC-CH Tuition Hike Clears First Hurdle
A task force at UNC-Chapel Hill has approved sizable tuition hikes.
The Tuition and Fee Advisory Task Force voted to raise in-state tuition 16-and-a-half percent and out-of-state tuition 6-and-a-half percent.
Student leaders offered proposals for much smaller increases. UNC-Chapel Hill officials say state budget cuts necessitate large tuition increases to maintain quality.
It's the first step in a months-long process toward possibly increasing tuition at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Later this week, the school's board of trustees will consider the task force's recommendation. If they go along with the increase, the tuition fight then goes on to the UNC system board of governors and then the state legislature.