Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- VIDEO: Colbert Claims To Be A Tar Heel After Sister Loses SC Congressional Race
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 12, 2011
UNC BOG Supports Thorp
UNC system leaders today expressed public support for UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor Holden Thorp. Thorp has been under fire from some alumni for firing football coach Butch Davis last month.
UNC system president Tom Ross and Board of Governors chair Hannah Gage released a statement this morning, reiterating their support for Thorp and his leadership of UNC-Chapel Hill.
Earlier this week, an alumni group threatened a lawsuit. They said they were misled into helping pay for a stadium expansion and were led to believe Davis would continue as coach.
Thorp fired Davis in late July, citing a need to move the program and university forward after a year-long scandal.
UNC-Chapel Hill officials will face the NCAA infractions committee in October. They will be there to address nine alleged violations that occurred while Davis coached the football team.