Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 12, 2011
UNC BOG Supports Thorp
UNC system leaders today expressed public support for UNC-Chapel Hill chancellor Holden Thorp. Thorp has been under fire from some alumni for firing football coach Butch Davis last month.
UNC system president Tom Ross and Board of Governors chair Hannah Gage released a statement this morning, reiterating their support for Thorp and his leadership of UNC-Chapel Hill.
Earlier this week, an alumni group threatened a lawsuit. They said they were misled into helping pay for a stadium expansion and were led to believe Davis would continue as coach.
Thorp fired Davis in late July, citing a need to move the program and university forward after a year-long scandal.
UNC-Chapel Hill officials will face the NCAA infractions committee in October. They will be there to address nine alleged violations that occurred while Davis coached the football team.