Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 11, 2012
Thousands Graduating This Weekend
Thousands of graduating seniors will get their degrees this weekend. The three largest universities in the Triangle: Duke, NC State, and UNC Chapel Hill, all hold commencement ceremonies.
Dave DeWitt: Last-minute preparations are ongoing for the big events, including building stages, arranging chairs, and families checking into hotel rooms.
But for those graduating, like Mohammad Saad at UNC Chapel Hill, these last few days elicit conflicting emotions.
Mohammad Saad: It’s been a great experience so far, it’s a lot of nostalgia at this point. It’s kind of bittersweet, you absolutely love this place, you don’t want to leave, but then again, you’re excited for the next step.
Saad and his fellow UNC graduates will get degrees on Sunday. Duke also holds its commencement on Mother’s Day. Students at NC State graduate Saturday.