Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed February 8, 2012
Thomas Built Buses Recognized for Environmental Stewardship
The North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources is designating High Point-based Thomas Built Buses as an "Environmental Steward." Julie Woosley is the manager of the state's Environmental Assistance Center. She says Thomas Built recycles 100% of the waste it creates.
Julie Woosley: They've reduced their water usage by 42 percent over the last 5 years; they've reduced their energy usage by 24 percent. They're constantly looking for ways to improve. We encourage folks to look at that continual improvement process. There are always ways to be better.
Only 16 businesses have been given Environmental Steward status over 10 years. Fuquay Varina-based John Deere Turf Care will be awarded the designation next month for its commitment to reducing solid waste and greenhouse gas emissions.