Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue August 9, 2011
Student Information Posted Online
Personal information on 1,800 school children was accidentally posted online by NC State researchers.
The security failure affected elementary students who attended Wilson and Richmond County schools from 2003 to 2006. The personal information posted online included names, dates of birth, and social security numbers.
A parent was the first to notice the error. NC State removed the data when it became aware of the situation late last month and has begun the process of trying to contact affected families.
School officials say there is no indication the personal information was used improperly.