Most Active Stories
- Viral Video: 'XMas Jammies' Features WNCN Anchor Penn Holderness And His Family
- DOT Secretary And SELC Director Debate Bonner Bridge
- Listeners Comment: NC Ranks #7 On List Of Nation’s Worst Drivers
- Professors: NC Conservative Think Tank Trying To 'Bully' Chapel Hill Instructor
- The Case Against Multivitamins Grows Stronger
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon October 31, 2011
State Senator Jim Forrester Dies
A state senator who led the fight against gay marriage has died. Republican Jim Forrester of Gaston County suffered health problems before checking in to a hospital this weekend.
Forrester was a retired physician who was elected to the General Assembly in 1991. He often worked on health issues with other state lawmakers. Earlier this year, Forrester became deputy Senate leader,a ceremonial post given to him when Republicans took over the chamber. But in recent years, he became known for his drive to secure an amendment banning gay marriage in the state constitution. The measure was approved by the Republican-led legislature in September and will go before voters next year. Forrester was born in Scotland and came to this country as a toddler. He graduated from New Hanover High School in 1954. He was a surgeon in the air force and retired as a one-star general. Later, Forrester practiced family medicine in Mount Holly. Jim Forrester was 74 years old.