Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Tue October 9, 2012
State Fair Kicks Off This Week
Fans of rides, animals and fried food are looking forward to the start of the North Carolina State Fair later this week. Organizers expect another good crowd after last year's attendance topped one million people. Brian Long is a spokesman for the fair. He says music is also a big attraction at the annual event.
Brian Long: The big news is Scotty McCreery, the home-grown idol. He has sold out both of his shows here at the fair. But we also have an assortment of country artists; Jake Owen, Billy Currington, Jason Michael Carroll and for the first time we're doing an a cappella night featuring groups from UNC, Duke and NC State.
Long says he's looking forward to trying some of the new food offerings including deep fried cinnamon buns sprinkled with bacon. The fair opens Thursday and runs through October 21st.