Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu July 12, 2012
Six NC Hog Farms Get Notice Of Suit
The Humane Society of the United States is serving notice to 51 different hog facilities that it will sue over the amount of toxic air pollution they produce.
Leoneda Inge: Six of the farms are in Edgecombe County and they are all owned by Hanor of Wisconsin. Peter Brandt is the senior attorney for Farm Animals at the Humane Society. He says the high level of ammonia produced by these hog farms shows a disregard for the environment, communities and federal law.
Peter Brandt: And it’s the same type of arrogance and callousness that could lead someone to cram an animal into a two foot by seven foot space for their entire life. So we see these things as very connected.
Brandt is referring to a common practice of housing pigs in what he calls gestational crates. The National Pork Producers Council says the Humane Society is not telling the truth about how hog farmers raise and care for their animals.