Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu April 11, 2013
Shark! Fisherman Gets Quite A Scare, Catches Scene On Video
Originally published on Thu April 11, 2013 1:31 pm
Isaac Brumaghim was reeling in a tuna Sunday about two miles off Hawaii's Oahu Island when he came as close as anyone wants to get with a tiger shark that weighed 400 to 500 pounds.
Needless to say, Brumaghim got quite a scare as the shark nearly jumped into his kayak when it took his catch. "It definitely was an adrenaline rush for me out there," he said afterward, according to Hawaii News Now. "Life and death right in front of you. It put some things into perspective."
Brumaghim is part of a group called Aqua Hunters that aims to "promote, expand, and advance the great sport of kayak fishing in Hawaii and the world." He was participating in an eight-month long tournament when he had his close encounter with the shark — and then stayed out on the water, catching two more fish.
This isn't our first post about sharks stealing someone's catch. Check this post from last July.