Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Wed July 20, 2011
Semprius to Build Plant in Henderson
A Durham company is planning to build a plant in Henderson that will produce one-of-a-kind solar modules.
Semprius was awarded state and county incentives to build its pilot production plant in Henderson. Semprius has been getting a lot of attention lately. The start-up company makes high concentration photo-voltaic solar modules which use mirrors and lenses to concentrate sunlight onto solar cells. Semprius will start building its new production plant this month. In the next few years, it is expected to employ more than 250 people. Officials say the plant will draw 120-million dollars in investment to the region. The state Commerce Department, the Golden Leaf Foundation, the Community College System and others have contributed to making the Semprius plant a reality.
Science & Technology