Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- 'Alarming' Number Of Teachers Resigning In Wake County
- UNC’s New Grading System Could Show What That ‘A’ Is Really Worth
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- 'Completely Unique': Cave-Dwelling Female Insects Have Penises
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 24, 2013
Salmonella Outbreak Sickens 82
The number of people sickened by salmonella traced to a Fayetteville area hotel has risen to at least 82. Officials say the outbreak happened earlier this month at the Holiday Inn Bordeaux. Buck Wilson is the public health director for Cumberland County. He says finding the precise cause is challenging.
"We have a great team out of the state with epidemiologists and MD's, medical doctors and they came in and did what they call an analytic study," he says. "And the goal was for them to interview at least 75 percent of the employees and I believe they reached their goal. And they're still doing the research to try and to figure out exactly what the source was."
Wilson says the hotel features a cafe, a sports bar and banquet facilities all of which could have been sources of the salmonella. He says health teams will finish their on-site work today.