Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu May 19, 2011
Reynolds Price: A Long And Happy Life
Duke will celebrate the life and work of Reynolds Price today. Price died in January at the age of 77.
Colleagues, students, and friends will gather this afternoon at Duke Chapel to remember one of the school’s most beloved writers and teachers. They are expected to read from some of Price’s work, tell their favorite stories, and listen to music performances.
Following Price’s wishes, Duke did not hold a funeral when he died in January. Price spent nearly two-thirds of his life at Duke. He grew up in Warren County, graduated from Duke in 1955, and studied at Oxford, England. He wrote nearly three dozen books while teaching several generations of writers at his alma mater. Today’s event is free and open to the public.
State of Things