Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu May 19, 2011
Reynolds Price: A Long And Happy Life
Duke will celebrate the life and work of Reynolds Price today. Price died in January at the age of 77.
Colleagues, students, and friends will gather this afternoon at Duke Chapel to remember one of the school’s most beloved writers and teachers. They are expected to read from some of Price’s work, tell their favorite stories, and listen to music performances.
Following Price’s wishes, Duke did not hold a funeral when he died in January. Price spent nearly two-thirds of his life at Duke. He grew up in Warren County, graduated from Duke in 1955, and studied at Oxford, England. He wrote nearly three dozen books while teaching several generations of writers at his alma mater. Today’s event is free and open to the public.
State of Things