Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- The Complex Identities Of Some Of America's Most Famous Black Men
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Thu January 5, 2012
Rep. Larry Womble Struck Drunk Driver
Winston-Salem Police say one man was drunk driving prior to a fatal car crash involving an elected official last month.
Jeff Tiberii: David Carmichael was driving with a blood alcohol content of .29 on December 2nd, 2011. Police say despite a level more than three times the legal limit it doesn’t appear Carmichael left his lane. The 54-year-old was hit by State Representative Larry Womble and killed. Toxicology reports show that Womble had a blood alcohol content of .00 at the time of the crash. Investigators have not placed blame on either party or filed any charges. They will wait to interview Womble before moving forward. He remains hospitalized in serious condition, conscious, but unable to speak. He has represented part of Forsyth County at the State Legislature for the past 16 years.