Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue July 2, 2013
Remembering The Mann Gulch Fire of 1949
As investigators try to determine what happened to the nineteen firefighters who died this past weekend near Yarnell, Arizona, we remember the Mann Gulch canyon wall fire of 1949. Smokejumper Bob Sallee is now the lone survivor of that fire, which burned 4,500 acres in Montana.
Also in this show: Christine Byl spent more than ten years clearing trails and building rock walls as a seasonal worker in Glacier National and Denali National Parks. She talks with Phoebe Judge about her new book, Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods.