Raleigh Begins Registry for "Supportive" Housing

Jan 3, 2012

The city of Raleigh is now requiring public and private groups pay a registration fee to operate group housing, including emergency housing and housing for those with disabilities.

Leoneda Inge:  The type of housing Raleigh wants to register is called “Supportive Housing.”   These include emergency shelters, half-way houses for substance abusers and even housing for those living with HIV and AIDS.  Raleigh City Manager Russell Allen says the city council approved the annual 76-dollar registration to build an official registry to determine just how many “supportive” houses are in the city.

Russell Allen:  One may have gotten a permit from a state agency or something they’re required to, they may have gotten a building permit.  But they could have gone on the books five years ago and we don’t know if they’re still there or not.

Some say the new registration may have to do with complaints about the number of “supportive” houses in a given area.  The current rules say no supportive housing residence shall be located within 375 yards or another.