Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Fri November 18, 2011
Pullen Park To Reopen
A signature amusement center in Raleigh reopens tomorrow. Pullen Park, near NC State, will have several new features.
Pullen Park has been a family favorite for more than 100 years. The carousel, the pedal boats, and the miniature train ride have entertained generations of Raleigh-ites. Many of the attractions have been closed the last two years, undergoing extensive renovations.
The grand reopening on Saturday will feature all the old favorites, as well as a new café, Pullen Place. A larger playground, picnic shelters, and event spaces are also new additions. But Diane Sauer with the Raleigh Parks Department says renovating the iconic carousel was a priority.
Diane Sauer: "Because of the carousel’s historic designation we wanted to make sure it’s preserved and protected for another 125 years and longer."
The $6.3 million worth of upgrades were paid for by a voter-approved 2003 bond. Outgoing Mayor Charles Meeker will rededicate the new amusement center at Pullen Park at 2 pm.