Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Fri November 18, 2011
Pullen Park To Reopen
A signature amusement center in Raleigh reopens tomorrow. Pullen Park, near NC State, will have several new features.
Pullen Park has been a family favorite for more than 100 years. The carousel, the pedal boats, and the miniature train ride have entertained generations of Raleigh-ites. Many of the attractions have been closed the last two years, undergoing extensive renovations.
The grand reopening on Saturday will feature all the old favorites, as well as a new café, Pullen Place. A larger playground, picnic shelters, and event spaces are also new additions. But Diane Sauer with the Raleigh Parks Department says renovating the iconic carousel was a priority.
Diane Sauer: "Because of the carousel’s historic designation we wanted to make sure it’s preserved and protected for another 125 years and longer."
The $6.3 million worth of upgrades were paid for by a voter-approved 2003 bond. Outgoing Mayor Charles Meeker will rededicate the new amusement center at Pullen Park at 2 pm.