Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Tue March 15, 2011
Public Forum On Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Some of the top innovative thinkers in the country will gather this morning at U-N-C Chapel Hill. The Obama Administration chose this spot to kick-off a series of public forums on Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
The National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship will gather at Kenan-Flagler Business School to talk strategy. UNC Chancellor Holdon Thorp sits on the 24-member council. And so does Ping Fu – one of the founders of Geo-magic in Research Triangle Park. Council member and America Online co-founder Steve Case says in this YouTube message, the economy needs more companies like his.
"I remember in 1990 we had something like 100 employees at AOL and ten years later it was almost 10,000 employees," Case says. "This hyper-growth really created all kinds of opportunities for people within the company. But also those employees then helped the people in the area. They were buying cars, they were going to restaurants they were buying houses."
Tickets are all gone for today’s public forum.