Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
- The “Lost” Recordings of an Overlooked Banjo Great
- Dozens Say NC's Proposed Rules For Abortion Clinics Are OK, But A Few Disagree
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon April 22, 2013
Progress Energy A Top Producer Of Solar Power Nationwide
The North Carolina utility company Progress Energy is among the nations leaders in solar production. Last year the utility company produced almost 70 megawatts of new solar generating capacity. The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) says that’s the 8th highest output of all U.S. utility companies.
In the last few years the cost of producing solar has dropped by 80%. In addition to cheaper costs, Progress was required to have at least three percent of its retail sales come from renewable energy sources. New state standards will mandate that that figure climb to 12.5% by the year 2021.
The solar energy that Progress produces is sold to other companies as a wholesale purchase. As a state North Carolina was 5th in renewable energy production, behind California, Nevada, Arizona and New Jersey.
Science & Technology
Business & Economy