Most Active Stories
- 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- North Carolina Teachers Learn About Undocumented Immigrants Through Remarkable Story
- Teens Help Turn Abandoned North Carolina Prisons Into Farms
- Global Warming Skeptic Fills Science Seat On Coal Ash Commission In North Carolina
- Take A 3D Virtual Tour Of Proposed Light Rail From Durham To Chapel Hill
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu May 8, 2014
The Politics of Fútbol! In Latin America
Sports say a lot about a city, state, or nation. Joshua Nadel’s new book explores the place of soccer in Latin America, and how it's influenced national identity in a post-colonial world. Nadel is the author of “Fútbol!: Why Soccer Matters in Latin America” (University Press of Florida; 2014) and a professor of Latin American and Caribbean History at North Carolina Central University.
Host Frank Stasio talks with Nadel about soccer's influence on Latin American identity.