Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Sat May 25, 2013
A Pizza Purist
Most kids like pizza, but when Anthony Mangieri was a boy he began to experiment with ancient dough leavening methods.
He'd be in his grandmother's kitchen at one o'clock in the morning, trying to make a Neapolitan pizza as delicious as the ones he'd tasted in Naples, Italy.
His obsession carried into adulthood, and he opened his first pizza place on the Jersey shore. As word spread of his talents, he opened Una Pizza Napoletana, first in Manhattan, and now in San Francisco.
Hear Mangieri's conversation with host Dick Gordon on The Story's site. Also in this show: A trip to the Capitol Pool Checkers Club where men with nicknames like the Hammer, the Pressure Man, and the Razor gather to play checkers; and how one woman stopped being a ring girl, and started treating the wounds of boxers.