Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Fri March 28, 2014
Pittsboro Memorial Will Honor 9/11 First Responders
Pittsboro will break ground today on a memorial to 9/11 first responders.
Organizers say town and Chatham County officials will take part, along with anyone who wants to bring a shovel.
The site will feature a beam from the base of one of the twin towers that collapsed after the attack on the World Trade Center in New York on September 11, 2001.
Jody Allen is the president of the Chatham County First Responders Foundation Corporation. He said the beam will point from the site in downtown Pittsboro toward ground zero in New York City.
“The memorial from the parcel is going to be in that direction and then what we've done is we tilted it over nine degrees and eleven minutes to represent 9/11,” Allen said.
Allen says the foundation is reaching out on Facebook to raise funds to complete the memorial.
Business & Economy
The State of Things