Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu September 6, 2012
Payday Lending in North Carolina
North Carolina had a brief brush with payday lending. But it was banned by the State Attorney General Roy Cooper in 2006. However, banks are not bound by state law, and Regions Bank from Alabama is offering payday loans in North Carolina in a program they call "Ready Advance." Some are worried that Regions Bank will open the door for other banks to do the same. Host Frank Stasio will be joined in the studio by Ellen Harnick, the Senior Policy Counsel for the Center for Responsible Lending.