Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
- The “Lost” Recordings of an Overlooked Banjo Great
- Dozens Say NC's Proposed Rules For Abortion Clinics Are OK, But A Few Disagree
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Sun November 10, 2013
Oops! Minnesota Wins Rivalry Trophy, Then Breaks It
It started off great: Minnesota won its fourth consecutive Big Ten game for the first time in 40 years when it beat Penn State 24-10 on Saturday.
Then, they were handed the Governor's Victory Bell trophy and they were so excited, they broke it. Oops.
Via SB Nation here's a gif of the moment:
ESPN says the Gopher's 8-2 season is the Big Ten's surprise this year. They explain:
"Who expected [head coach Jerry] Kill or the Gophers to be partying like it's 1973 four weeks ago? Minnesota seemed headed for a lost season, and Kill's coaching future was in doubt after he took a leave of absence to seek additional treatment for his epilepsy. The Gophers are one of the best — and coolest — stories in college football right now, as they enter an open week at 8-2 and still very much alive in the Legends division race. Their Nov. 23 game against archrival Wisconsin will be the biggest in recent team history."