Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 3, 2013
The Only Cultural Org. Still Operating In A War Zone
Host Dick Gordon calls Issa Touma in the city of Aleppo, where he has reached him several times over the past year. He says sometimes the electricity is cut for days and there are bombings and firefights. In these times, the sounds of Aleppo intensify and he is hearing families fight and begin to fray.
This is a video from a workshop organized by Le Pont, the only cultural organization still operating in Aleppo:
Hear the full conversation at The Story's website. Also in this show: A Syrian living in the U.S. calls a friend who left Damascus and one who remains; and a story about the day blues guitarist Robert Johnson and cellist Pablo Casals recorded music.