Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 3, 2013
The Only Cultural Org. Still Operating In A War Zone
Host Dick Gordon calls Issa Touma in the city of Aleppo, where he has reached him several times over the past year. He says sometimes the electricity is cut for days and there are bombings and firefights. In these times, the sounds of Aleppo intensify and he is hearing families fight and begin to fray.
This is a video from a workshop organized by Le Pont, the only cultural organization still operating in Aleppo:
Hear the full conversation at The Story's website. Also in this show: A Syrian living in the U.S. calls a friend who left Damascus and one who remains; and a story about the day blues guitarist Robert Johnson and cellist Pablo Casals recorded music.