Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon April 23, 2012
Olympic Drama In Cary
The Olympic Table Tennis trials were held in Cary over the weekend. The sport’s premier event provided plenty of drama.
Dave DeWitt: Like every sport, table tennis has its quirks and traditions. What’s obvious right away to anyone new to the elite level of table tennis is, these athletes are loud. Each player has his or her own personal word or phrase they like to shout. For American Ariel Hsing, that word is “sa.” It must have worked, because Hsing won the first Olympic team slot.
Ariel Hsing: It’s just absolutely amazing. I’ve been dreaming about it, I’ve been wishing for it, but when you actually won, it kind of hit me unexpectedly.
Hsing is 16 years old, and will be joined on the women’s Olympic team by two other Americans younger than her. On the men’s side, one American and three Canadians will make up the North American contingent in London.