Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon January 6, 2014
Olympians Gather In Western NC
I've been poking around the internet, wondering if any athletes with ties to North Carolina will be headed to the games in Sochi next month.
I didn't find any (yet), but I did find a winter games, happening now. Without fanfare, network TV contracts, or endorsements, 130 athletes with special needs have gathered for the NC Winter Special Olympics at Appalachian Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock.
The competition is reportedly fierce in alpine skiing and snowboarding. 130 regional competitors hail from as far away as Virginia.
It's the 36th time the regionals have been held at this location.