Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu March 10, 2011
The North Carolina Gazetteer
Historian William S. Powell first assembled “The North Carolina Gazetteer” in 1968. The book has since served as an essential reference for readers with an interest in the state and the fascinating stories that are attached to places like Frying Pan, Hanging Dog, and Naked Mountain. Powell’s book has recently received an update with help from Michael Hill, research supervisor at the North Carolina Office of Archives and History.